As a child, I was consistently and severely beaten, and often neglected. First by my parents, then, (after their divorce when I was 3) by my mother and grandparents. Please don't feel badly for me. I'm surprisingly well adjusted, considering what I've seen in my lifetime.
That being said, I do not have fond memories of my childhood. I do, however, want desperately to create loving, happy memories for my son. It's not always easy. Especially on days when I am sleep-deprived, ill, or otherwise fuzzy-brained. Those days make creative, thoughtful parenting of a toddler feel pretty close to impossible.
Sometimes I lose my temper. Sometimes I beg him to stop screaming. Sometimes I tremble with frustration. Sometimes I raise my voice. Sometimes I ask him to stop what he's doing in a quiet whisper, while diverting his hands. Sometimes I wring my hands in my lap and cry. Something I have never considered, not once, even in the heat of the moment, is hitting my child.
I have promised myself that if this should ever become a possibility, I will immediately remove myself from the room, until calm enough to return. As yet, it has not come to that. Here's hoping it never will.
Partly, I credit prolactin with my new-found ability to handle child-induced stress a bit better than my parents did. (Prolactin is the calming hormone that is released when a woman breastfeeds her child) Partly, I credit my few years of therapy and a LOT of reading and education. Partly, I credit my own childhood traumas and lacking self-esteem, for these things serve as excellent incentive to break the chain of violence, here and now. As if I needed a reason...
There are, however, a handful of people who know of my history on a very deep and personal level. Every once in a while, I get the feeling they're waiting for the other shoe to drop. As if they're waiting for me to lose control and hurt my kid. Every time Zee gets a bump or bruise (or a cast on his leg, for that matter) they pummel me with a million questions. How, When, Where, was anyone ELSE there? God help me if something should happen without witnesses to verify my innocence.
I'm literally becoming paranoid and anxious that these people have designs on my kid and they're just waiting for the right moment to swoop in and ship him off to foster care.
Now, I'm hoping that I'm being just-that, paranoid. I'm hoping with my whole-heart that it's all in my head... (Just like when I was in the throws of PPD, but afraid to tell the doctor, for the purely-imagined fear that they'd take my son) But, I'm so oblivious to most things, that I have to consider: isn't there a very real possibility that it isn't in my head at all?
And, if so, what can I do about it? Seriously, what?
Monday, February 20, 2006
the other shoe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm so proud of you for wanting to breakt he cycle, and for overcoming your crappy childhood. You deserved better, and while not feeling sorry for you, I ache that you didn't get what you are giving Zee.
I hate that people question you like that. I want to kick them. I would defend you to the end my friend!
You will have to consider the source. If it comes from the dysfunctional people in your background, I wouldn't give them the satifaction of giving it a second thought.
If it's coming from someone you trust and value, then you have to take a second look at it.
And if it's your paranoid stinking thinking, then tell yourself to shut up!
Would you like someone to talk with?
You can contact me if you like.
I can see you are really trying
to not repeat your childhood.
Good for you!
What a great mom you are!
Raising children is so difficult.
Hope to hear from you.
Korin, thank you for your kind support. You are one fabulous Mamma!
MsShaddow, You know, that is the one thing I haven't done. Considering the source. Why it didn't occur to me, I'll never know. Thank you!
Melissa, Thank you for your kindness. You are very sweet. Forgive me for not sending you a personal thank you, but you didn't leave an email address.
What MsShad said! I agree, there wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, you need to take the stance that even paranoid people have enemies! Sometimes! Just continue to be a good mother and they can't amass any ammunition against you. If they are losers who have nothing better to do and no credibility, then don't sweat it!
Isn't it weird how some part of ourselves gets defensive over stuff we know we'd never in a million years do? We had a work incident many moons ago where money went missing and part of me always wondered if I was considered a suspect and feeling like I had to be extra sure to cover my ass so it didn't look like a possibility, even though I'd never do that in a million years. I can only imagine if you had an even more loaded situation. You are an awesome mama and your love for Z shines through and through.
thanks for your continuous support, t_s and Lisa.
As parents we all make mistakes and kids do get bruises, bumps, and broken bones, stitches! For pete's sake you can't put them in a padded room foam floors! Kris, I understand the paranoid feelings and sympathize with you but level headed people do not say things or accuse inaccurately.
Just choose your confidantes carefully and listen to the advice of those who are really true to the scene.
In short people can be real pains, but don't you let them! Anyone who is as concerned as you are in your every move has only the best of intentions and reactions for their child, otherwise you wouldn't even bother to comment!
Relax and take a time out when you need it, but something tells me you don't need them as much as you think you do! ;-0} :-0}
Post a Comment