It seems that I'm doing more apologizing here, than writing, these days. Apologizing for not writing, of course. The last few weeks have been a bit on the tough side, here at chez cabbage.
Zee's sleep has been a little crazy, to say the least and he seems to be teething.
We've been looking for a house. ("What fresh hell is this?")
I've been sick with a head cold all week.
So this explains why my posts have been so sparse. Hope everyone will understand and come back and see me again, when cabbage-world gets back to normal.
We've only been actively searching for a few weeks, now, and I'm already pulling my hair out, wondering if we shouldn't just rent forever, and be done with it. We've found a lovely little house that showed MUCH promise and personality. (is that possible, for a house to show personality?) It was on the market for 128 days. We were harping on the agent's voicemail to get us over there to check it out for a few days. Don't you know that the day before the real estate agent called us back, someone else snatched it up. Bye bye, cute little fairy-tale house.
The rest of these places look like dumps to me. I'm fighting the urge to feel offended that these folks think we would even consider living in houses like these. I like to tell myself that Duane, Zane and I must simply look much handier than we actually are. Though, I know that's not likely
We've seen hundreds and hundreds of houses, online and in person. We've visited homes in the boonies and homes in small towns. We've even seen homes that sat in the unsettling shadow of an enormous pair of nuclear reactors. They followed us half way to our destination, steaming as a faint drizzle of rain fell throughout the area. I gladly forgot they were there until we turned to leave for home. At which time, we found ourselves chasing those hazy monsters over the horizon for a solid 20 minutes driving back into town. Yuck.
I actually ended up losing my patience by the end of the day, and telling the agent how ridiculous the whole experience was. I couldn't believe he dragged us out there, with a baby, in the rain, to show us a bunch of tiny little houses in a grimy, ugly little neighborhood. Asshole. The last house was new construction, but it literally had a "shack" across the street. I said, "Look, I can live in a shitty apartment in the heart of a real city... Why would I move to a glorified shanty town, and take out a mortgage to live in a shitty house?"
Well, I'm off to try to get a little sleep. Wish us luck.
Thursday, February 02, 2006
all apologies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You should start looking in the zipcode 97215... I hear they have some really great houses there :)
Hi Kris, we spent over 2 years looking for a house.., I feel your pain...it seemed when we kept seeing dumps we upped are price and then those that we saw prior that were higher then we wanted to got sold or became even higher!!
2 deals fell through and one I really wanted but the paper work wasn't filled out properly and the other bidder came in and grabbed the ring!
But, one day when hubby was at work he called me and said, "I found this in the paper by owner and I know you don't want to live in PA but just listen to this"....
WEll, we have been here will be 13 years this Oct. You too will find your dream house!! :-0}
EVen though it is really discouraging try to keep your wits and hopes up...it will happen!!
Oh, you poor dear. It sounds so painful. Where are you looking?
P.S. If I knew how I would make you a human-sized version of the dollhouse.
It sounds like you ought to fire that agent and get a good one.
Good luck in any case...it can certainly be hair-pulling.
Post a Comment