I know I'm a little late, but I don't get a lot of time to post on subjects that require more than a second or two of thought and energy.
Yesterday, Andrea at "the Aitch" posted about her parenting insecurities and about feeling judged by other mothers for making what they apparently deemed as "inappropriate" choices.
I won't be commenting on the original discussion that prompted Andrea's post, as I have no real knowlege or understanding of that situation, but purely on the discussion that is taking place on her blog, in the link.
In particular, Andrea sited crunchy/AP moms as being more judgemental of other mothers who make more mainstream choices for their children. I have to admit that I've taken part in my share of bad-mouthing other's parenting choices.
It's usually something fairly obnoxious and trivial, like: "Can you believe she let her hyperactive 5 year old eat all that sugar?" And, the conversation is usually a private one. But the truth is, it's still judgement and I'm belittling another parent in the process. As this comment would imply that said woman has done something to make her child hyperactive...
In general, when I'm not getting my "bitch" on, I tell myself that I'm pretty open-minded about other's parenting styles. I understand that what is not right for me, may be magic for someone else. I also understand that I'm not some perfect mother that sees all and knows all, and can decide what the rest of the world should be doing with their kids forever, into eternity. In fact, I know that I make lots of mistakes.
I would like to point out that I've gotten a lot of guff from mainstream parents, such as my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, and many of the other mothers in my MOMS club who insist on telling me such things as: I'm spoiling my child because I don't make him cry himself to sleep every night, OR that my son should be forced to nap in the afternoon, OR that my kid is too energetic and the reason is because I carry him too much. I didn't know that a well behaved child is one that is content to lie quietly, flat on his back, awake, for hours at a time, at the age of 8 months with no interraction with his mother or anyone else. --Hell, there I go, judging again.
The Club moms seem to think I'm a little strange, even though I'm really not what you'd consider "crunchy". I use a sling, we co-sleep, I'm still breastfeeding, and we're a no-circ family, yet we also use disposable diapers and I feed my son the same thing that we eat for dinner. Sometimes, he even eats something from Gerber (oh horror!) We watch TV. We boycot Disney. Usually, it's just the Noggin channel, or we listen to the radio. It's not Jerry Springer, but I know it's not the optimal choice.
I swore I'd only feed my child organic food and his eyes would never see the TV. I was lying to myself. To be honest, there are days when I need the TV to save my sanity, and that's it. But, I digress. My point was not to defend my choices to the internet, but rather to discuss the issue of mother-judgement.
Do we, mothers, judge eachother because we're desperate to proove our own worth as mothers and women? Or is it something else?
Why is it that we ALL say that mothers deserve more support, but very rarely do any of us actually give it?
And, why, in all of this discussion of hurt feelings, are the women who commented on Andrea's post being so damned judgemental, themselves? Even in criticizing those who pass judgement, we can't help but speak with cruelty, ourselves. How do we stop it? When do we reach the fill line? At what point do you stop looking down your nose at the other mother walking toward you on the street, and offer her a smile, instead?
When a mother makes a choice that differs from my own, it is NOT my job to tell her to do it some other way. My job is to tell her, "You're doing your best and your kids will be better for that." I will strive to be more supportive of the mothers I know and the mothers I have yet to meet. I hope you will too.
Friday, December 09, 2005
don't be like that, baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your post ties in with a discussion I was reading on a message board recently. The poster was talking about taking courses in law school where you had no idea if you were going to pass or fail until the end of the class and how nerve wracking that was. Motherhood can be a lot like that, because we won't know the true outcome of many of the choices we are faced with making every day for years. Everyone responds differently to that type of pressure. I try to be as open minded as possible when it comes to other parenting choices - some I draw the line in the sand and would never condone, but most are just a, “whatever works for your baby, you, and your family.” I tend to set the bar very high for myself and try to watch myself carefully so I don’t fall into mommy-one-upmanship because it can be so destructive and it’s something that is very easy for me to do.
I know I’m lucky in the fact that I don’t face a lot of guff from others about my parenting choices because I don’t do all of the trappings often associated with AP - it’s only ever been implied that I’m too permissive with my son, but they aren’t his parents and they don’t have to deal with the fallout. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have those second thoughts all the time, and it takes a good talk with my husband to get me back on track.
It’s a very fine line to walk between being proud of your own parenting choices and being judgemental. I think the crunchier/hardcore AP moms have the hardest time walking this line, because of the flack the get from the outside and because of how strongly they feel about their parenting choices. The hardcore mainstream moms (for lack of a better word) also have a tough time with this too. Motherhood is damn hard and it would be nice to be able to cut everyone some slack once and a while; to admit that you have some insecurities about your parenting; to admit that you’ve let your child chew on a Twizzler while watching Spongebob Squarepants because you were just too touched out to deal with him (something I’ve never done because I don’t have Twizzlers, it was a rice cake actually ;)).
Man, I haven't even started showing yet, and I can feel judgement for choices I haven't even made. It's funny, but I think everyone judges, it's how we make decisions of our own. The difference is how we choose to react with our judgement. Do we criticize? do we observe and let it influence or not influence our own choices? Do we start a conversation and try to share our own experiences? the choices we make can make friends or enemies.
I agree, we are all too critical of others choices. Everyone really needs to think, and make the best choice for themselves. The key, is the thinking. If you always just do whatever you're told with out thinking... you'll never really make your own choice, you know?
it's late and I'm talking in circles :)
And of course the Club mothers think you're strange! it's your best quality! :D
I think we might just have the same exact parenting style (except for the no-circ thing). It felt weird to read that because I could have written it myself -- and I do sort of consider myself a mother with crunchy leanings (although clearly not crunchy enough to meet the exact definition). That just shows you that everyone experiences motherhood and choices differently.
I think one of the things I find most surprising is that people claim they aren't judging, but if you make a statement like TV rots your brain, while also saying you're not being judgemental, wellll...I mean, come on. That is clearly judgemental. I would rather people simply say this is my belief, period. It feels inauthentic otherwise.
I think there can be a way to believe something is the best choice without judging others if they disagree. I know I can't claim to never judge another mother, I can only say that I make a conscious effort not to - sometimes I succeed and sometimes I fail.
Part of the responsibility, I think, must fall within ourselves. With more experience, I feel more confident as a mother and other opinions rarely bother me anymore.
AMEN :-0}
Post a Comment