Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Thanks Mom

My son currently has 25 chicken-pox-like blisters on his face and a fever of 102.4. I would check his body again, but he's quite miserable, so that will have to wait.

He's been moaning and crying in-between bouts of exhausted, fall-where-he-may sleeping and his nose is stuffy w/lots of snot. He is, in-fact, so stuffy, that he nurses in furious little bursts while holding his breath.

Chicken pox isn't such a big deal. I remember having it. It was highly unpleasant, but not much more than that. I wasn't really planning to vaccinate him against it, because I felt that catching the true disease would be better for him in the long run. Not to mention that the issues of questionable efficacy and possible side effects of the vaccine seemed to outweigh the reality of the disease itself. Why, then, you may ask, did he receive it anyway? Simple...

fear.

The doctor assured me that my information was incorrect. She explained:
The varicella vaccine would protect him "for life" not for the 13 years I originally believed.
The varicella vaccine had a very low risk of side effects.
The varicella vaccine would save him from potentially life-threatening effects from a severe case of chicken pox, such as encephalitis.

I believed that she must know better than I. I was afraid that my son could die if I did not get the vaccine. I allowed fear to control me and make the decision for me.

So, now? I'm kicking myself and I swear that I will learn from this mistake. My kid has, effectively, what looks EXACTLY like chicken pox for his first real Christmas. He is more miserable than I've ever seen him, before. He seems to be in a fair amt. of pain.

Turns out, according to this morning's research:
Encephalitis has been a noted reaction to the varicella vaccine, not neccessarily the actual, wild virus.

The vaccine does not protect from all strains of chicken pox.
Many countries have found the varicella vaccine unneccessary, and do not require it's use for school age children as we do, in this country.
Those who go on to contract chicken pox after vaccination seem to do much worse than those who simply catch the disease on it's own. There is more, but I'm tired.

And, that doctor, while far more educated than I, on many many things, did NOT know better than I did about this. Her office had only this to say, "Some kids do have a rash in reaction to the varicella vaccine. Just watch his fever and make sure he is still eating or nursing."

Thanks. Thank you very much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry he's feeling so awful - poor baby! I hope he feels better soon. And, thanks for the interesting notes about the vaccine. It's an issue I've been struggling with so it's helpful to hear your experience.

Jenn said...

Super gihugic gargantuan hugs! My heart aches for both of you.

Anonymous said...

How miserable for both of you. Hard way to learn to trust your own self, huh? Sometimes doctors just piss me off.

Lisa said...

Many, many hugs to both of you. That just sucks all the way around. Why are doctor's such asshole idiots some time? Not all the time and not everyone for sure, but geez!