In the process of parenting my son, old childhood wounds surface from time to time, as they must for most parents. As each situation comes up, it's my choice to use it as an opportunity to learn and move forward when possible. Sometimes I get stuck, or the hurt resurfaces. That tells me I need more work in that area.
The goal, here is not to allow those unresolved feelings to become ingrained into my own parenting processes. Generally, by uncovering as much of each individual problem as possible, and working out how and why the situation may have affected me, then attempting to find a more appropriate way of reacting with my child, should the need arise. Essentially, how could my parents have done it better?
Well, this is me, stuck. I keep revisiting the same troubling memories of a particularly traumatic time in my childhood, and can't figure out what I'm missing.
*** I'm tempted to turn off comments, only because I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, and post a bunch of "poor kris" type stuff, if I tell the story... But instead I'm asking that anyone who responds will just restrain any comments to suggestions and insight, rather than pity. Pity doesn't make anyone feel good, and it's counter productive. ***
Here goes:
At about the age of 3, my parents were divorced. I don't really remember caring much about it at the time. What I do remember is that my father wasn't treating my mother well, and this was what needed to happen. There are also strong, early (non-verbal) memories of them fighting often, before the divorce.
After the divorce, my mother had sole custody and my father had visitation rights. One day, (when I was about 4) my father came to pick me up for his visit and he kept driving. He told me I wasn't going back. (This was before that sort of thing was called Kidnapping, so there were never any real, legal repercussions) Though I can't remember how long I was away, I do remember plenty of other things.
On that fateful day, my father drove straight to his mother's house, dropped me off, and explained that I wasn't going to live with my mom anymore. He left, and I didn't see him again for a very long time. He would come back for a few minutes, here or there, or he would come back and sleep there and then leave early in the morning. But he didn't spend one moment with me. I remember understanding, very clearly that he hadn't taken me because he missed me, or WANTED me, but because he knew it would drive my mother crazy.
I also remember that one night, while I was there, one of my aunts took me to a coke party at a bar, where she got VERY lit and left me to sit in a corner. She came home and bashed in her step-father's head with a ceramic statue of a naked lady sitting on a long red pillow. I watched the blood run down his face... My grandmother took him to the hospital and left me there with my drug-crazed aunt.
During my stay, they wouldn't let me take a bath, even though I asked repeatedly. They also kept me in the attic. After a while, they sent me to some distant aunt's house in Philly, where I also lived and slept in an attic. They also sent me to Texas, where I was finally allowed outside, but I was only there for a few days, then sent back up to New Jersey and Philadelphia.
I was alone in the attic without any toys, or anything to do. I was afraid. I was dirty. I was lonely. Christmas came and went, but I didn't know at the time. I remember hearing the cops come to the door many times, and I tried to call to them, but they never heard me.
This all came to an end, one night, when I was in the kitchen. Many times, my grandmother would call my mother, and say horrible things to her. She would hold the phone out so she could hear me in the background, just to torture her. THis particular night, the cops must have been watching and waiting. They broke in (all super-comando-style) and grabbed me, and wrapped me in a blanket, and ran out of there. My mom and my uncle were there waiting for me. (THis was my uncle D. He was my mom's brother-in-law. He's obviously a really great guy.)
So, I remember alot. I've tried to figure out why I keep finding myself back here, thinking about this stuff but can't get to the bottom of it. I've attempted to bring the subject up with my father. He "Doesn't know what I'm talking about" My mother was so glad to have me back, she even held Christmas for me. The tree had been up for months when I got back home, with all the presents underneath. I spoke to her about it, as an adult, and she was really shocked that I remembered so much, and so vividly. She's since passed away, so I can't really talk to her about it anymore. I tried talking to a councelor about it. I didn't really get anywhere.
"how did that make you feel"
"um... scared, lonely, mad... Just like I SAID"
I don't really know what I"m missing. I don't expect anyone else will have much insight into my wacky brain, either... I just thought it might help to write about it.
Friday, June 17, 2005
In progress
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Thanks. It's so sad when parents use their children that way. I wish I could speak out about it, to tell the abducting-parents that they're not helping anyone when they do this, but I'm just one person. And not such a great writer, at that. ;)
So here are some thoughts I've had as I've been thinking on this......process ideas and things that have helped me through rough spots. Sometimes I find it helpful to imagine the me I was at during that event and have a conversation with them, child to adult - asking the child "what do you need, how can I help, is there anything you would like to tell me, is there anything I could do for you", sometimes just taking quiet time to visualize sitting with my childself, holding compassionate space for her, letting her know I'm here and yes it was scary and rough and unfair and I'm sorry it couldn't be different but I'm here for you now. Drawing - I love taking a big sketch pad and craypas (I like being able to smear them and get the different color densities with them) and just letting it out - shapes, swirls, vortexes, whatever. Sometimes when I'm stuck with words putting shapes and colors on paper helps to create movement in my process - regardless of art ability, because I certainly don't consider myself trained in art, but there's something I find really helpful about just moving color on paper. Holding myself - placing my hands on my belly, feeling my breath come into my hands, putting a hand over my belly and my heart and focusing on my breath. I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for or not, but I wanted to share what's helped me in hopes something might resonate for you. Take good care.
It is helpful. Thank you.
My friend the art therapist will LOVE to hear that you've suggested I draw it out, too. :)
Kris, I read this post last night, and thought of you all night. I don't know what to tell you. I agree with Lisa... collage art, clay art, (I don't draw...) these things help me process the crap that won't go away.
EMDR is a pretty cool tool, you can ask your therapist if she/he uses it. It helps your brain reprocess memory.
Most of all, I want to send you some love. What you needed and deserved as a young girl was love, and you didn't get enough of it. I hope you know now, how very very much you are loved. And what a wonderful loving mother you are to Zane.
EMDR? Ok, I will ask.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm sorry if I freaked you or anyone else out. I've got a lot of pretty serious, scarey crap under the surface, and I think it'll do me some good to get it out and write about my feelings, as they come up.
But, at the same time, I don't want to scare anyone or to look for sympathy, either.
It's kinda hard to know what things are ok to write about, or if there's a way I can write without totally making a victim of myself.
Though I do think it's this kind of stuff that keeps me from success, that's not what I want. I don't want to feel like the poor little girl that noone wanted. I don't want to be held back by my emotional past anymore. I want to move past it. I want to be stronger and happier.
I really don't have any "poor me" feelings about this particular incident. I really just feel pretty angry that my father doesn't acknowlege it, but I know he never will.
You didn't freak me out at all. If anything, You just became more human to me. It breaks my heart that anyone is treated like that, more or less someone I care about. I don't have sympathy or pity for you, I just have respect that you are so strong and willing to deal with all of this.
We all have scary crap under the surface. Some is just scarier than others. I think you should write about what ever you want to. If people have issues with it, they can fuck off. When I write stuff in my blog, sometimes it's ugly and mean, but it's how i feel, and it's the truth.
I'm sorry you feel this crap holds you back. I want you to move past it. I really want you to see how strong you already are. How you are the woman that many love, respect and want. You are a woman that I love, respect and want in my life.
I'm pissed that your father doesn't acknowledge it either, but that's his shit. You acknowledge it. That's all you can do.
Much love my sweet friend! :D
Korin, you are just so cool. :) thank you!
wow, kris. This hits too close to home, as my honey had his kids kidnapped from him almost a year ago, and he's taken them back about a week or so ago. He's got them back home, and filed for custody. He's told the kids his plans, tho, and they want to be with him. He didn't tell the mom till he had them back in San Fran. They had been calling him late at nite, scared, because she drinks, and then rants and raves in the basement and they can hear her. I've been blogging about it.
I feel so bad for you, but not in a victim sort of way. Just ... what parents will do to each other. He didn't go there with the plan set in stone that he was taking them back. He listened to the kids for several days first, feeling it out. Wondering what the best thing to do would be, and ultimately, it came down to their safety, when they told him she drives them around when she's been drinking. I got a call "get me 3 tickets home". It was scary as hell.
As far as counseling... maybe you don't have the right therapist. I know with me and my sexual abuse issues... I had to test drive several before I found the right one. And I've had to change therapists too, when the issues changed to MS, or grief, or whatever. It's not surprising that your past is rearing it's ugly head, but be prepared for it to be even worse when the baby hits age four.
it makes my heart ache that this woman drives her kids around drunk. If you hate yourself, that's one thing, but your kids didn't ask to be born. They don't deserve it.
I'm so glad that he's got them back.
I really wish there was some way to screen a therapist, to see if they're for you, before you've been to a year's worth of sessions.
Post a Comment