Tuesday, January 24, 2006

3 legged race

Zane broke his leg this afternoon, while we were at the bookstore. He has compression fractures of the tibia and fibula. (this is also known as a toddler's fracture)

He was angry and stomping his feet when one of them slipped off the step at just the wrong angle, causing the fractures.

Luckily, I was right there, and caught him, so that he didn't fall, and hurt himself any further. As for me, I feel so much better than I did earlier. When they told me his leg was broken, I sobbed like a baby. He was chatting-up the nurses, and I was crying like a nut.

The X-Rays were terrible. It took 2 grown men to hold him down. My little love is freakishly strong.

The good news is, his cast will not interfere with the growth of his leg and it should be off in 3 or 4 weeks. The bad news is, he hates the cast. He is not yet able to walk or crawl with it, as it's pretty heavy. This has been causing him just a little frustration and has been the source of many a tantrum.

So, my dear internet friends, please think of Zane and send happy, bone-growing thoughts to my little bubbalou.

6 comments:

Johanna said...

I'm SOOOOOOO sorry.. poor baby.

Anonymous said...

oh my GOD!!!! I'm so sorry. Give the little boy a big squeeze for me.

I was thinking while I was watching you at the bookstore doing your mommy-soothing thing with him, you are such a good mother. You have capable, calming mommy hands. Zane is a lucky guy.

Jenn said...

OMG!!! Poor Z and poor mom.

Anonymous said...

OMG. Thankfully Z has such a sweet and loving mommy to hold him through this. Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Poor little baby! And you too, Mom!

ezri.blue said...

DOH! Good thing little kids are so resiliant eh? :) And you'll be able to get his mind off the cast every so often by handing him some coloured markers to DRAW on it. :D

I hope it goes well though, and don't worry, he'll heal up in no time.