If you're queezy, do yourself a HUGE favor and stop right here.
Zee and I came home a little late today, after our daily outing. We met Duane at the book store and walked together. As I opened the front door, the unmistakable smell of something long-dead hit me squarely in the face. I half expected my husband to tell me I was imagining things (as he so often does in affairs of olfaction) when he screwed up his face with that universal "ick" expression.
For about an hour, he tore the apartment apart, looking for the offending body. He couldn't find it. What if it was somewhere in the walls?!? What if it was a dead rat or bird, somewhere in the walls, and we had to live with that smell until it completely decomposed?!? What if it WASN'T IN THE WALLS!!!!!!!! Then, I had visions of the baby happening upon it, one morning and immediately sticking it in his mouth. I was poised on the precipice. My arms were flailing and my toes were dangling over the edge of mental collapse, simply from imagining the maggots and disease.
That's when Duane found the poor little sucker. Siibel must have found another mouse and "played" with it, the way she does. At some point, it apparently broke away and ran behind the basket by the front door, and died.
Now, before you curl your lip in disgust, a recent talk with the neighbors in the apt downstairs revealed that the mice were inherited from the tenants before us (frat boys) and I'm very careful about cleaning the kitchen and keeping food and such off of the floor. I'm the first to tell you that I'm not the best housekeeper, but it's more an issue of toys on the floor than actual dirt.
At any rate, I'm having quite a dilemma with the mice. I want them dead and gone. The same also goes for any other unwanted creatures which might expose my child/household to parasites and numerous unimaginable diseases. I don't want to hear one "humane" word about it, either. I have a child. Babies shouldn't have to live in a home with mice. You know what else? Neither should I. However, I am at a complete loss as to how to get rid of them.
I can't call an exterminator. It's a long story, but I can't breathe the fumes from chemical pesticides. It could kill me, quite literally. That stuff couldn't possibly be good for Zane, either. I can't really put down traps, because of Zane and the Cats. I can't put down poison for the same reason. I don't know what to do. My cats had to be put on Advantage Flea Medicine because of this. Poor Max had licked a bald patch on her leg. I can only imagine what other things are crawling all over the floor and it's making me insane.
HELP!!!!!!
Friday, January 06, 2006
hickory dickory dock
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kris, they have traps now that are in like a little housing unit! Not sure what they are called but it is a little black box that has bait inside it. The mouse goes for the bait and is trapped securely in the box. You can use these behind something or out in the open! Check with your local hardware store for its name! We use them at our church.
Another hint, mice LOVE peanut butter...We easily trap mice, voles, and moles using peanut butter as bait!!
In the meantime, I will ask the church for the name of these traps and if you haven't found out sooner I'll be back with the name!!
Good Luck,
Peg, the defender of the house and home from two and four legged predators!
Oh. My.
Mice suck. I've got no solutions, but lots of sympathy. Rodents are a pain in the butt to get rid of.
Oh, I am all too familiar with that old game...find where the putrid smell is coming from! I've never had rodents as roomates, my cat just brings half-alive things (birds, snakes, moles, field mice...) in through her cat door from the outside so they can come in and die under my couch.
My sister recently had a run-in with rats, though, and they got rid of them by finding the entry-point and sealing it up. Are there any holes your cat hangs out near?
The only thing that has worked for me are the glue traps - I really hate using them, but I hate the little b*stards more. My sister has had good luck with the plastic Victor traps - they are a bit safer to use then the traditional wooden ones. Is there anyplace that you think the mice are traveling that you can put traps or something down that the cats or Zane can't get to them? Good luck and I am definitely comiserating with you.
Post a Comment