My Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch came in the mail, today. It needed to be returned for color, size and quality. The snaps and seams were all wonky and the size was definately too small for me. Today, I also received my Silk, Zolowear Ring Sling which was returned 2+ months ago, so that it could be worked on after heavy rain caused the red color to bleed throughout the blue field of silk behind. Both companies/ladies worked very hard to come to some resolution for me.
The new KKAFP is perfect. The color is "periwinkle" which I like, very much and all the snaps and seams are just as they should be. The Ring Sling, unfortunately, could not be salvaged. They were kind enough to send me a brand new sling. Part of me is ecstatic. One beautiful new silk sling just for me and Zane... COOL!
Then there is the other part. That part of me is sad that I won't have my old sling back. I held Zane in that sling when he was brand new. I comforted him in that sling many many times, rocked him to sleep, nursed him, and walked him all over town and back in that sling. Yeah, I'm a big dork, but I'll miss it.
While I waited in snail-mail limbo for my new slings to arrive, I swear that I was going through withdrawl. I gave away my Boopa Rapture Mei Tai a few months ago but still had my Ergo Carrier, which is excellent for carrying bub long distances. Unfortunately, it just doesn't compare to a regular sling or pouch for speed/ease-of-use, versitility, quick, Zee-comforting ability or compact, under-stroller storage. Not to mention that I can nurse in a sling.
Ergo claims that you can nurse in their carrier, as well, but I have yet to make that work (and believe me, I've tried) For those who don't know, an Ergo Carrier is something along the lines of a back pack. It allows the parent to carry the baby with the weight spread accross both shoulders and a padded hip belt. It works well, but it takes some work to get it on/off and lots of practice AND PATIENCE to get the baby on your back alone.
In a traditional sling or pouch, I can easily switch to any one of 3 (more when he was smaller) carrying positions if Zane gets fussy or seems uncomfortable, but with the Ergo, it's such a project to change from one position to another, (and there are only 2 possible positions) that I put him in and don't take him out until I really have to.
Besides, Zane doesn't like being carried in the Ergo as much as a sling. And that's more important than anything else.
Monday, November 21, 2005
Baby-Carrying Fool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay on the sling and carriers!
How was does he weigh now? I can no longer comfortably carry my son in the KKAFP and he's about 20 pounds - maybe I should keep trying though. I miss those snuggly days of keeping him close. Now he'll kick and flail around unless he's in something facing forward (like the Bjorn), but that's killer on my shoulders. I've been using the stroller more and more, but would like to get back to wearing him more often.
Post a Comment