Friday, November 11, 2005

Wella Wella Wella

I finally found a pediatrician's office with the thimerasol free version of the flu vaccine. The trick was in convincing them that I wanted to switch to their practice for Zee's care and then, while there, slipping in the request to get him vaccinated.

You see, these days, the flu vaccine is like medical gold. You almost have to proove the need before you get one. I lucked out in that they were only giving thimerasol-laced vaccines to those with private insurance (someone somewhere decided that those on medical assistance should have the "less effective" thimerasol-free version) but they quickly ran out of the first, and now everyone gets the second. I'm glad to hear it. I wish they'd give it to me.

So, I got in to see them, by calling for a sick appointment, thinking, hey, he's got a pretty bad cold, they'll see him. Then I can get him vaccinated, or at least make the appointment. Turns out, the poor kid has an ear infection, possibly 2. THank goodness I took him in. I feel like a big turd. I had no idea he was that sick. My poor little bub.

They gave us a prescription for some antibiotics. I plan to pick them up tomorrow, along with some probiotics to save his delicate little bum-bum.

Ug, I am a horrible mother.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not a horrible mother. Babies do that irritating thing where they don't show symptoms of a double ear-ache, but then they seem to have a hard time with growing new hair or fingernails out of the clear blue sky.

And anyone looking for the less bad flu vac isn't a bad mother!

kris said...

thank you. I know it's rediculous but there's some part of me that feels like I should be "psychically linked" with him, and just "know".

Korin said...

you're not a horrible mother! Youre awseome and I adore you!

Jenn said...

You are definitely not a horrible mother! Thanks for the info on the vaccines - I must have ranted and raved about that issue for weeks and it's nice to know I can get the less-effective, thimerisol free one. Hope Z is feeling better.

kris said...

I love my internet friends. You guys rock.