Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Gobble

We spent the day with Duane's family, yesterday. It was a lovely day. Zee had fun climbing all over his grandmom and auntie and he ate lots of turkey and roast-beast. He especially enjoyed the candied yams.

And, as if one day of gluttony wasn't enough, we've started a bit of a piggy tradition in our family. We have regular Thanksgiving dinner with my husband's family, then I cook another turkey for us, the day after. Duane always gets a little cranky when he doesn't have his own turkey, and this fits the bill. :)

So, this year, I made a small (13 lbs) turkey stuffed with cranberry, apple, almond and sausage stuffing and I made green bean casserole to go along with it. It was delicious, if I dare say so myself. The sweet notes in the stuffing actually seeped into the turkey. It was flavorful and juicy. The skin was a lovely brown, but not quite as crispy as I'd have liked. But, hopefully I'll get a little better every year.

Needless to say, the diet is out the window until after the holiday. I can't be expected to behave myself with all manner of pies, cakes, sweet potatoes, and whipped, creamy-what-not. Besides, if we weren't supposed to eat it, why does it taste so good?

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Glad you had such a nice time and 2 dinners! All I could get Michael to eat was corn and pumpkin pie.

Lisa said...

Hey, care to share your stuffing recipe - that sounds quite yummy!!

ezri.blue said...

I agree, your stuffing recipe sounds SO good! Share? :)

Anonymous said...

me too, for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Hello! Looks like you and hubby unit, Z-unit and all fmily units had a wonderfull Turkey Day! Glad to hear it! My wufe wants the stuffing recipe too! Little Z feeling better I presume?