Wednesday, November 23, 2005

wheezy knee-Zee

Brought Zee back to the doctor yesterday morning, for a sick visit after he developed a lovely, wheezy rattle in his chest. The ped (whom I really like) sent us home with a nebulizer and a prescription for albuterol.

He also had a breathing treatment before we left the office. Needless to say, it did not go well. The young, male nurse who instructed me in the use of the nebulizer was annoyed that Zane wouldn't keep the mask on his face. At which point, I said that I would hold it on him. (apparently, this did not go over well, either.) The nurse sighed, rolled his eyes, and said, "Well, you have to keep it tight on his face or he won't get all of the medication. Every time the mask comes away from his face, even a little, he's losing a lot of the medicine that he needs."

All I have left to say about that is: This guy obviously does NOT have children... Or, if he does, they must be those scary, stepford, robot children who are totally obedient and all together different from Zane.

Zane fought me for the entire treatment (10 or 15 minutes) while I was left to restrain him, holding the mask on his face as he kicked, pinched, spit, screamed, punched and dug the back of his scull into my chest. Then, we got to repeat this process every. four. hours. until this afternoon.

On the walk home from the doctor's office, Zane threw up. A Lot! Repeatedly. Apparently that happens to some children. It has something to do with how the albuterol loosens the phlem in his chest. I wasn't expecting it. It was frightening. I was carrying him in the pouch, and when he threw up, it went over my shoulder, down my back, down the front of him, and down the front of me. And, unlike the spit-up he had for the first few months, this feeling made him very uncomfortable. I was never so glad to see my front door.

All things considered, today, the bub is in a decent mood. He's been playing and laughing and generally bringing the ruckus... But, he is tired. I am tired. But more than that, I'm a little scared. My kid is wheezing. The doctor explained that this doesn't necessarily mean he is asthmatic. She said that kids his age wheeze, regardless of whether or not they have asthma. But, I'm still afraid. On many occasions, today, I have found myself begging God or whomever else might listen: Please, please, please don't let him have asthma.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh kris - I;m so sorry that the Z-man is sick again. I've just started to give Michael breating treatments again for his persistant chest cold. When I did it in the office, it was one of the most gut-renching things I've ever done as a parent - having to restrain your child so you could administer medicine for an expetended period of time. The ones at home will go much better and definitely use your pouch or sling and put on a favorite TV show for him to watch. I just hold the mask in front of his face because he hates the elastic and the nurses at the docs office had no problem with this. Best of luck to you guys! Yours in broncho-stimulants...

Jenn said...

sorry for the atrocious spelling

Anonymous said...

I'd not be wanting that nurse around my baby anymore - say something to the ped, he/she needs to know his nurse isn't baby oriented.

It does sound it's more about being full of gunk that's making him wheeze tho - not asthma.

Here's hoping I can read the dang verification letters....

Anonymous said...

NO ASTHMA!!! Poor Z. :( i'm sorry you're getting your asskicked by the sick stick.
You know.. it might be the crappy air there, you should totally move to portland. ;)
Love you both!

Lisa said...

Oh honey, I'm so sorry to hear about Z's breathing troubles. I hope the meds have helped and that you're feeling a little better too. Sending you both lots of love and good breathing vibes!

kris said...

Thanks, everyone. I hope it's not asthma,too.

Jenn, I'm sorry you have to re-visit the breathing treatments. They suck. BTW, thanks for the tip. Letting him watch TV while he got his treatment really helped.

MsShadow, It hadn't occured to me that I could bring it up to the doctor. Thank you, I will do that.

Korin, I'm working on it, believe me!

Lisa and Jess, Thanks, I missed you both.