So, the good and tasty new thing that's all the rage, over here in cabbage land is curry chicken salad. Its simple. Its quick. It makes the whole house smell good. Its easily convertible to a vegan dish. It's also just about the MOST delicious and perfect food there ever was. We are completely addicted. Even the baby. No, really.
I made it last Thursday, after seeing a recipe on allrecipes.com and it was so good that I made it the day after, and the day after that, then I skipped a day (just to prove I could) and then I made it again. It truly IS that good. You'll see.
Now, I'm including a link, here to a fairly simple tofu-based mock chicken, for my veggie friends, though there may be better recipes out there, and if I remember correctly, you'll also need to use a substitute for the mayo, as it has eggs. I can't recall if there is a pre-made product you can use for this, or if you'll need to make your own... but it's worth it, believe me. I've read a review of this recipe from a vegetarian who found the mock-chix to work perfectly with this dish, so I hope it'll work for you, too. Enjoy!
Here's the mock chicken recipe.
Here's the original fruity curry chicken salad recipe
And here's my modified version:
the roughly chopped meat of 2 whole rotisserie chickens *not skin* (or same amt of mock chicken)
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 scallions, sliced finely
1 large *TART* apple - peeled, cored and chopped
1+ cup seedless red grapes, halved
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder ***
1 cup mayonnaise (I use the canola mayo or, you can sub the veggie version, is it called nayonnaise??)
*** do yourself a favor, and just buy the McCormick curry... everything else seems to have a lot of cinnamon, and it really just ruins everything, at least for me ***
Place chicken (or tofu) in bowl with celery, scallions, apple, grapes, and pecans.
In another bowl, mix the mayo and pepper. Slowly add the curry, testing along the way, until you like the taste. I usually like A LOT of curry, as you can see by the fact that I've quadrupled the amt. When you like the taste, add it to the stuff in the other bowl and mix it up.
Cover and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Over-night is better, but it never makes it that long, in our house. :)
Sunday, July 31, 2005
I'm not an addict
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment