It was a strange day for us, yesterday, but it renewed my faith in humankind. People are truely beautiful.
For starters, Zee had his first "real" poop. I never thought a bowel movement could bring such wonder, such laughter, such mess, such... smell. Oh, how I wish there were a place in the baby book for that little tidbit of information.
For about 2 days, my guy was constipated. That's quite a while for him, as he usually goes 2 - 3 times a day. (yes, still) I was starting to worry, if only because this meant a giant poo was imminent. I was right to be concerned. When he finally let loose, he was apparently very relieved and happy. So happy, in fact, that when I brought him to the changing table, and took off the diaper, he did a little, ecstatic baby dance... in his poop... and I couldn't stop it. And, well, if you can't beat em, join em. I never laughed so hard in all of my life, and when it was over, Zee was completely covered in poo. He then, promptly had his 3rd and 4th baths of the day.
-----------
Now for the real fun.
Our travels yesterday, also brought us to Whole Foods, for a little lunch. As we were looking for a little food, Zee decided it was time to eat. NOW! Actually, he was screaming the scream of the tortured, so I carried him straight to the cafe, sat down and nursed him. It was a quiet point in the day, as most of the lunch rush had cleared out over an hour before, so Zane's yelling apparently drew a bit of attention. Not to worry though, as nursing always quiets him quickly.
I nursed him (now quietly) in the corner of the cafe, and rolled the stroller up in front of us, so as not to distract him, or draw any more attention. I think I've gotten pretty good at discreet nursing. Most of the time, people don't even seem to notice.
After about 5 minutes, I was approached by a late-50ish woman. I looked up and smiled at her. The first words out of her mouth were, "You're disgusting!" Thus began her tirade. "This cafe is for everyone, not just for you. (with a nod to my son)" "You should be ashamed of yourself!"
I stopped her and asked, "For feeding my baby? Why?" "I have a legal right to breastfeed him here." She probablly didn't even hear me.
She continued, "Noone wants to see you doing THAT!" "You're disturbing everyone here!"
Now, I can't remember what else I said, as it was really of no consequence. The cool part happened when the 2 other people in the cafe came to my defense, with a swiftness. The mature, feminist-type lady sitting next to me looked at this woman and said, "I beg your pardon, you do not speak for me. I am not disturbed, in the least!"
The young mom (also with her child) who was sitting accross from us, stood up and said, "Who the hell do you think you are? She's feeding her child! YOU should be ashamed, not her!"
The woman, clearly embarassed, gathered her belongings and sulked out. YES!!!!!!!!!
Now, you have to know that at this stage of the game, I'm not terribly affected by anyone's protests at my breastfeeding. My son is more important than any embarrasment I MAY have suffered, and frankly, I just love telling them that this is my LEGAL RIGHT! What troubles me is the effect this type of exchange might have on mothers, new to breastfeeding. Early in our BFing relationship, it was much easier to wound me, and BFing was so hard. I worry that people such as this could damage the resolve of the already fragile new mother.
I hope with all my might that she has learned never to do that again.
Saturday, July 30, 2005
poop & boob
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You and me both!! Not very tactful and if she really was insulted by you breastfeeding then why in the world would she continue to watch you! I have seen alot of strange happenings in restaurants and I feel as long as my family and myself aren't in any type of physical danger then you keep your eyes and mouth to yourself and pay your bill and leave! After all, they too are paying a "bill" to be there!
You know the saying, "You can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and be the NOT the one to stir up the heat unnecessarily!"
Just another "breast fed three kids in and out of public" lady!!
Good for you and those who stood up to the face of stupidity!!
you BF'd 3 kiddos? Wow, you rock! It's the toughest thing I ever learned to love.
Oh, I completely agree with you, Peg. It's always the "disgusted" people who wind up staring in "horror" [fascination] for 20 minutes straight.
Kris, I am so heartened by the folks who came to your aid! It really does restore faith in humanity.
I'm so glad other people stood up for you, too! When my daughter was about 3 months old I had to nurse her in my car. Windows up, ac on, under a tree in the parking lot at Target. A woman about like yours walked past my car. She stopped, turned, and walked back. She knocked on my window - I thought something was wrong, so I rolled it down. She commenced her tirade about how "dirty" and "disgusting" I was to engage in such a "barbaric practice" in public. I calmly told her that it was my legal right to feed my baby the best form of food she could receive. She then called me a bitch and stomped away. I wanted to squirt her.
I bfed two children by birth (enjoyed the second go-round much sooner!), I induced lactation for my adopted daughter, and I now bfeed foster babies.
You should see the looks you get, as a pasty white caucasian, nursing an African American baby!
I haven't had any comments yet, with the foster babies, as I just haven't found myself in that situation yet. However, I have become MUCH more vocal with age, and am sure I would have politely ripped that nice woman an extra butthole.
:)
You fucking rock. I'm glad you showed her a thing or two! Or didn't show, it sounds like!
Alright, I know I'm officially niave. My jaw is dropped. I can't believe (I mean, I totally believe you) that someone would have the absolute nerve and audacity and fucking rocks in her head to actually say something like that to you, to anyone. What the hell?!?! Good for you for responding so eloquently to her, and I am thrilled to know that other women stood up for you. I'm just shocked that people are that stupid and that rude and that willing to spew on others. Jesus!
Heh, I used to refer to bf'ing as the "toughest thing I ever learned to tolerate for the sake of my child" until we hit 4 months and then finally (FINALLY!!!) I got to enjoy the reward period and came to love it. Anyway, it was so hard in those first months and I felt so vulnerable that I never DARED to bf in public just out of fear of something like that happening. Now, with my baby at 8 months, I'm out and I'm proud! And I have my state's statute number memorized just in case--It is my legal right to BF in public.
Thanks everyone!
Jenn, I never expected any support, but it was so nice to have it. When the other 2 women spoke up, I could have cried I was so happy.
Jess, I'm hoping you're right.
Abbie, what a rotten rotten person! I can't believe she had a problem with what you were doing in the privacy of your own car, for crying out loud! She must have alot of residual guilt, huh?
Christine, holy moly, you're kidding? that's just amazing! I've read so many stories of women relactating, but I've never met anyone who was successful. What a wonderful gift to give your children!
K, Thank you! you're a silly lady.
Lisa, I know what you mean. I was amazed that anyone could be so rude or uneducated. I guess she was saying the same about me, though.
Jenn, for the first 2 - 3 months, I sat in my apartment without a shirt, and just nursed him constantly. I never worked so hard for something so difficult, not even in college. My job was feeding the baby. I felt like a cow, literally. Thankfully, that changed and now, I love our bf'ing relationship. It makes me sad that I'll have to wean him... eventually... by college, maybe?
Post a Comment